Peyton
A
thread 1/4
At 52 I still don’t want to talk, because of jokes. Joking about rape, child rape, abuse is not funny and actively does harm to those who need to speak out.

What I experienced as a child at an elementary school run by the National Cathedral will remain mostly private due to “jokes”.
07:44 PM - Jan 09, 2024 (Edited)
Peyton
A
thread 2/4
What happened to me in the 3rd grade was “attempted sexual assault”, I screamed, I kicked, I ran. I was not believed.
07:44 PM - Jan 09, 2024
Peyton
A
thread 3/4
but what else was happening, and what persisted to others because I was not believed was tragic.

Jokes are just one way those with power can trivialize, deny, and hide their abuse.
07:44 PM - Jan 09, 2024
Peyton
A
thread 4/4
This is in part how our system and society has failed those who are abused. And why silence abounds.
08:16 PM - Jan 09, 2024
Claudia Citro
A
In response to Peyton.
@DemonsBrew
I hope that anyone that would consider making jokes of Sexual Assault sees your Spout and learns a bit f compassion. Thank you for your bravery.
08:07 PM - Jan 09, 2024
Peyton
A
In response to Claudia Citro.
Yes, sharing my experiences is about hoping it helps others relate. Personally I process and relate through stories, experiences, and sharing them. This is about those we need to talk, and if we are ready to listen
08:22 PM - Jan 09, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}