R H
A
thread 1/10
Marcel Proust was a French novelist, best known for his 3000 page masterpiece, In Search of Lost Time, a pseudo-autobiographical novel told mostly in a stream-of-consciousness style.
12:05 PM - Jan 10, 2024
R H
A
thread 2/10
Proust wrote, "We do not receive wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness, which no one else can make for us, which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world."
R H
A
thread 3/10
There is a difference between wisdom and knowledge. Knowledge can be taught, but wisdom must be obtained by oneself. Wisdom is self-discovered.
What exactly is wisdom? Wisdom is insight into the true nature of reality at every level, and the skillful embodiment of this insight in the world.
R H
A
thread 4/10
Knowledge is the information and understanding we receive about a subject, wisdom is knowing what it truly means. Wisdom sees deeper than the data, and opens a deeper truth beyond the facts themselves.
To gain wisdom you must go within yourself where your inner-guru or deep-knowing resides.
R H
A
thread 5/10
In Letters to a Young Poet, Rainer Maria Rilke wrote, "So, dear Sir, I can’t give you any advice but this: to go into yourself and see how deep the place is from which your life flows; at its source you will find the answer to the question."
R H
A
thread 6/10
Proust makes the point that wisdom often comes when one is confronted by the adversities and suffering of the lived human experience. This is because we can generally make due in the world based purely on knowledge.
R H
A
thread 7/10
But when we experience hardship, heartache, volatility and change, we are pressed to consider and process life more deeply.
R H
A
thread 8/10
No one can do this processing for us - it's a uniquely and radically individual and personal process, which involves descending into your innermost being and listening, seeing and knowing.
Proust says, "... our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world."
R H
A
thread 9/10
In other words, the wisdom we discover within ourselves is our place to stand, our place of deep seeing and understanding, our place from which we are transformed and liberated, our place that shapes our way of being in the world.
R H
A
thread 10/10
If we focus only on knowledge, we will find ourselves in the barren wasteland of information without true understanding. We live in an age of knowledge, but our greatest need is wisdom.
Jessica Sun 孙道言
A
Reminds me of Carl Jung's consistent emphasisizing of the teaching that the universe within is just as vast as the universe without. For the wisdom of man is knowing oneself. As Thomas Merton famously said, "Finally I am coming to the conclusion that my highest ambition is to be what I already am."
In response to R H.
12:12 PM - Jan 10, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}