Zeketayler
A
thread 1/25
These are a collection of MLK quotes that are most meaningful to me. 🧵 They give me hope.

“The one thing that keeps the fire of revolutions burning is the ever-present flame of hope.”

“To passively cooperate with an unjust system makes the oppressed as evil as the oppressor.”
12:40 AM - Jan 15, 2024
Zeketayler
A
thread 2/25
“Power without love is reckless and abusive and love without power is sentimental and anemic. Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love, correcting everything that stands against love.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 3/25
“Power is necessary to implement the demands of love and justice.”

“Freedom is not given, it is won.”

“If America is to remain a first-class nation, it cannot have a second-class citizenship.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 4/25
“When a subjected people moves toward freedom, they are not creating a cleavage, but are revealing the cleavage which apologists of the old order have sought to conceal.”

“Violence grows to the the degree that injustice prevails.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 5/25
“When people, especially in public office, talk about bloodshed they stir and arouse the hoodlums to acts of destruction, and often work undercover to bring them about.”

“Anyone who lives in the United States can never be considered an outsider anywhere in this country.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 6/25
“There is nothing more majestic than the determined courage of individuals willing to suffer and sacrifice for their freedom and dignity.”

“As much as I deplore violence, there is one evil that is worse than violence, and that’s cowardice.”
12:41 AM - Jan 15, 2024
Zeketayler
A
thread 7/25
“Over the past several years, I must say, I have been gravely disappointed with such white "moderates." I am often inclined to think that they are more of a stumbling block to the Negro's progress than the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner.”
12:41 AM - Jan 15, 2024
Zeketayler
A
thread 8/25
“I wonder at men who dare to feel that they have some paternalistic right to set the timetable for another person’s liberation.”

“We still have a choice today; non-violent coexistence or violent co-annihilation.”
12:42 AM - Jan 15, 2024
Zeketayler
A
thread 9/25
“I can foresee the Black vote becoming consistently the decisive vote in national elections. But the Black community cannot win victory alone. Intelligent people of good will everywhere must contribute to its support.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 10/25
“There must be a climate of social pressure in the community that scorns those who will not pick up their citizenship rights and add their strength enthusiastically and voluntarily to the accumulation of power for themselves and their people.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 11/25
“If we do not act we shall surely be dragged down the long dark and shameful corridors of time reserved for those who possess power without compassion, might without morality, and strength without sight.”

“A denial of freedom is a denial of life itself.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 12/25
“Over the bleached bones and jumbled residue of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words : “Too late.”

“[Fascism] is a judgment against our failure to make democracy real and follow through on the revolutions that we initiated.”
12:43 AM - Jan 15, 2024
Zeketayler
A
thread 13/25
“We must with positive action seek to remove those conditions of poverty, insecurity and injustice, which are the fertile soil in which the seed of [fascism] grows and develops.”

“Every person is heir to the legacy of worthiness.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 14/25
“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”

“The Western arrogance of feeling that it has everything to teach others and nothing to learn from them is not just.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 15/25
“When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.”

“We must have anger under controlling bonds of discipline.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 16/25
“I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. That is why right temporarily defeated is stronger than evil triumphant.”

“To understand difficulties should not be a preparation to surrender to them.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 17/25
“We spend too much of our national budget on building military bases around the world, rather than bases of genuine concern and understanding.”

“An obstacle to progress makes humanity seethe.”
12:44 AM - Jan 15, 2024
Zeketayler
A
thread 18/25
“There are just laws and unjust laws. An unjust law is one that is out of harmony with the moral law of the universe.”

“We must appeal to the conscience of the great decent majority who through blindness, fear, pride, or irrationality have allowed their consciences to sleep.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 19/25
“Man-made laws assure justice, but a higher law produces love. No code of conduct ever compelled a father to love his wife or children. The law court may force him to provide for the family, but it cannot make him provide love. A good person is obedient to the unenforceable.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 20/25
“It is ultimately more honorable to suffer in dignity than accept segregation in humiliation.”

“It may be true that morality cannot be legislated, but behavior can be regulated. The law may not change the heart, but it can restrain the heartless.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 21/25
“If this society fails, I fear that we will learn that racism is a sickness unto death.”

“The inseparable twin of racial injustice is economic injustice.”

“A concentrated drive against injustice can bring great tangible gains.”
12:45 AM - Jan 15, 2024
Zeketayler
A
thread 22/25
“I never intend to adjust myself to the inequalities of an economic system which takes necessities from the masses to give luxuries to the classes. I never intend to become adjusted to the madness of militarism and the self-defeating method of physical violence.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 23/25
“Any religion that professes to be concerned about the souls of men and is not concerned about the slums that damn them, the economic conditions that strangle them and the social conditions that cripple them is a spiritually moribund religion awaiting burial.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 24/25
“Social progress never rolls in on the wheels of inevitability. It comes through the tireless effort and persistent work of dedicated individuals. Without this hard work, time itself becomes an ally of emotionalism and social stagnation. And we must get rid of the myth of time.”
Zeketayler
A
thread 25/25
“Yes, I am personally the victim of deferred dreams, of blasted hopes, but in spite of that I close today by saying I still have a dream. If you lose hope, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of all.

And so today I still have a dream.”
12:46 AM - Jan 15, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}