Kevin Kretsch
A
thread 1/10
On Martin Luther King day, I'll point you to a section in his Letter from Birmingham jail that rings just as true today as it did in 1963, 61 years ago. And as you read it, let me remind you that the "white moderate" that he referred to then...
10:34 AM - Jan 15, 2024
Kevin Kretsch
A
thread 2/10
...exists just as much today in MOST white people who would never consider themselves racist, or who might even consider themselves anti-racist. People who will happily tell you they voted for Obama or Kamala Harris but won't ever for a local Black candidate,...
Kevin Kretsch
A
thread 3/10
people who will never call out racist Uncle James or Aunt Susan across the dinner table so as not to 'rock the boat', people who bought a "Black Lives Matter" yard sign on Amazon for $15 but hide it in the flower bed so not to provoke the neighbors or the HOA,...
Kevin Kretsch
A
thread 4/10
People who say "in my heart I know I'm a good person" but who can never drive through a poor part of town and think "in my heart I know all of these people are just as good and deserving of everything I have as I am"....
Kevin Kretsch
A
thread 5/10
For those who are self aware enough to feel any cognitive dissonance at their lifelong inaction vs their public statements, the $15 yard sign is enough to pay their guilty conscience to go away.
Kevin Kretsch
A
thread 6/10
Most white moderates think that racism and injustice are other peoples problems to bear, rather than white peoples problems to ACTIVELY sanction and ostracize. Until that changes, I don't think any much if any further progress can be made. It's us, WHITE PEOPLE who have all the work to do.
Kevin Kretsch
A
thread 7/10
Extract from Martin Luther King's letter from Birmingham jail

"First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate.
Kevin Kretsch
A
thread 8/10
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence
Kevin Kretsch
A
thread 9/10
of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of
Kevin Kretsch
A
thread 10/10
time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}