Araquiel Gaerwing
A
thread 1/4
Ran across a spout today from someone I've been enjoying that bugged me. Person posted a link to a video that mocks a particular group on instagram, making fun of them for liking certain things popular with their demographic. It happens to be a fairly common/popular form of mockery...
04:57 PM - Jan 17, 2024
Araquiel Gaerwing
A
thread 2/4
...of this particular group. They like lattes, tiny pumpkins, fuzzy socks. They post pics in artsy lighting wearing flowy clothes or gazing dreamily out windows and apparently that's cause for mockery. Meet the new misogyny. Same as the old misogyny. We dress it up with giggles and call it 'satire'
Araquiel Gaerwing
A
thread 3/4
and that somehow makes it okay. But here's the thing.

Punching down isn't satire, it's bullying. And it was incredibly disappointing to see it posted with enthusiasm by someone who seemed better than that.

I guess I'm not cool enough to appreciate the humor but it left a bad taste in my mouth.
Araquiel Gaerwing
A
thread 4/4
I will laugh all day at cruel people getting bitten on the ass by their own cruelty. But laughing at people simply for liking something popular with their demographic? If a lot of them didn't like it, it wouldn't be popular. Duh.

If it makes me a killjoy, so be it. JFC, let people enjoy things.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}