Kayla 🌱 🥋 F 🤿 🦈
A
thread 1/4
Today was another stunning day in the waters around Sydney, & another day of meeting new friends. The first was a very friendly Port Jackson Shark- Heterodontus portusjacksoni. I would estimate this one was about 10 years old and about 5 feet long.

It’s an unusual species because…
#MarineBiology
01:56 AM - Jan 19, 2024
Kayla 🌱 🥋 F 🤿 🦈
A
thread 2/4
They can eat & breathe at the same time. Unusual for sharks, many need to swim with their mouth open to force water over the gills. This species pumps water into the 1st enlarged gill slit & out through the other 4 gill slits. By pumping water across the gills, it does not need to move to 'breathe'.
Kayla 🌱 🥋 F 🤿 🦈
A
thread 3/4
I was having to scour the bottom today and having the next guy as a visitor meant no stingrays were hiding under the sand, which could be potentially dangerous to me. The Eastern Shovelnose Ray- Aptychotrema rostrata. This was a beautiful specimen at around 3 feet long…
Kayla 🌱 🥋 F 🤿 🦈
A
thread 4/4
Safer for me because they swim along the bottom which stirs up the sand and any hidden stingrays would have been exposed. So I followed along behind him for a bit, gathering up what I needed in safety.
That Todd Guy
A
I find these posts fascinating. Thanks for sharing them. You are definitely living the life! 👍🙏❤️
In response to Kayla 🌱 🥋 F 🤿 🦈.
02:41 AM - Jan 19, 2024
Kayla 🌱 🥋 F 🤿 🦈
A
In response to That Todd Guy.
I'm so glad you like them!❤️
02:42 AM - Jan 19, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}