Ruth Neese
A
In response to Spoutible Banned Book Club.
Men work, but are like thunderstorms; one minute the weather is calm, the next, shouting, hitting, leering, assaulting. Powerful. Women have the home, but are helpless in the grip of the thunderstorm. #SBBC #MangoStreetTalkingPoint
08:51 PM - Jan 20, 2024
Tracy I
A
The chapter where they found fancy shoes and thought it’d be fun to play at being grown up but men immediately started leering and catcalling etc and then it wasn’t fun and the shoes got retired. 🤨 Creepy! (Duplicate post because I said it first as a comment on a comment and wanted to share more)
04:02 PM - Jan 20, 2024
Pam McSt
A
There was definitely a lot of focus on controlling males--fathers, husbands, co-workers, and boys her own age. Esperanza really wanted to escape having to experience this, but didn't escape it entirely.
03:35 PM - Jan 20, 2024
Carolyn Rodea
A
In spite of growing up in a community that perhaps had more conservative gender roles, Esperanza dreams of a house, not a husband. #SBBC #MangoStreet
01:04 PM - Jan 20, 2024
Spoutible Banned Book Club
A
In response to Carolyn Rodea.
I loved that about her.
01:05 PM - Jan 20, 2024
AlbinatorB
A
In response to Carolyn Rodea.
I would not say it's in spite of her upbringing. Her experience showed her that around men, women have no plans of their own, so any plan of hers would have to be hers alone to have a chance of working. She is also likely an introvert, and craving privacy she could never get is very understandable.
03:15 PM - Jan 20, 2024
AlbinatorB
A
#SBBC Gender dynamics is definitely that of men setting the world up and women and girls navigating the landscape that produces. Even early on, her brothers wouldn't acknowledge her outside the house. Behavior of abusive men is treated like bad weather, even teenage boys are not to be controlled.
12:31 PM - Jan 20, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}