Spoutible Banned Book Club
A
The #SpoutibleBannedBookClub discussion of The House on #MangoStreet by Sandra Cisneros starts now. See the pinned spout on @BannedBookClub for guidelines.
#MangoStreetTalkingPoint

Did you see anything in the book to justify the challenges/bans of The House on Mango Street? Explain.
#SBBC
12:00 AM - Jan 20, 2024
Pamela
A
In response to Spoutible Banned Book Club.
I saw nothing that would justify, or even create a basis for, a ban. For a moment I wondered if I was mixing up book clubs. It was apparent that abuse occurred, but there was nothing explicit. Just regular life.
What am I missing?
#SBBC #MangoStreet
05:29 PM - Jan 20, 2024
A
This is the first book we've read where I was hard pressed to find anything that could be considered "explicit" (or related to CRT, which is used to cast a wide net). Because it alludes to rape and talks about domestic violence, it's been challenged in K-12 for its "sensitive subject matter."
In response to Pamela.
05:37 PM - Jan 20, 2024
Pamela
A
In response to Spoutible Banned Book Club.
9-12 is especially ridiculous.
Also, some of the same folks are trying to marry girls off at 13. So old enough to have the responsibilities of a wife, not old enough to read a book? (I could go all day with this)
07:17 PM - Jan 20, 2024
A
In response to Pamela.
I'd have to do more research to see the exact grades that were targeted, but I think it's fine for middle school as well as high school. Kids are not naive and it's best to talk about difficult subjects before high school, especially for girls so they know how to protect themselves.
07:26 PM - Jan 20, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}