Socio-gen
A
thread 1/4
Oof. I could tell so many stories of how the fracking boom affected renters in Bradford County PA.

A small part: in 2009, I became homeless because my landlord could get $2400/mo renting the 3bd house to gas workers. I had been paying $600/mo for the previous 5 years.
JournoActivist @JournoActivist
“Existing residents can often be displaced because landlords can charge short-term renters exorbitant rates instead of the relatively affordable prices that long-term renters pay for the same property.”
#fracking #eviction #AffordableHousing
08:51 AM - Jan 22, 2024
08:58 AM - Jan 22, 2024
Socio-gen
A
thread 2/4
My daughter was a senior in HS. She moved in with my mom and stepdad to maintain her district residency. Technically, I did too, but in actuality there wasn't room for 2.

I ended up sleeping on the couch in the apt of my younger son and his gf (both 21) for 6 mos, living out of a suitcase.
09:01 AM - Jan 22, 2024
Socio-gen
A
thread 3/4
That year, my oldest son (24) was asked by his paternal grandma to move into the house her parents built after she downsized. For zoning and tax reasons, the property had to be occupied by a member of the family.

In Sept 2010, I became a hidden occupant. (Because it was my ex's family homestead.)
09:05 AM - Jan 22, 2024 (Edited)
Socio-gen
A
thread 4/4
And all this at the same time as I had decided to go to college because my job had vanished in early 2009 as a result of the 2008 crash.

Being in school saved me because I could spend hours on campus in the computer lab and library, so I (or my car) wouldn't be seen at my son's.
09:11 AM - Jan 22, 2024
Wojciech Kałuża
A
Damn, I'm so sorry. Landlords are greedy, impenitent scum.

Are you doing ok now?
In response to Socio-gen.
09:07 AM - Jan 22, 2024
Socio-gen
A
In response to Wojciech Kałuża.
I'm honestly not sure how to answer that.

Yes...and no. Currently, because rental prices dropped only in comparison to the boom, my daughter and her son and I share a home with one of our not-blood-but-family. (She's my sister's late husband's sister.)
09:16 AM - Jan 22, 2024 (Edited)
Socio-gen
A
In response to Socio-gen.
The cheapest 2-bd apts in this areas are $1000/mo, in a complex known as "meth central." A decent 2-bd is a minimum $1200-1400/mo.

My daughter's been on the wait list for public housing for 2 years, which would cap her rent at 30% of her income. It's actually quite nice and well-maintained.
09:22 AM - Jan 22, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}