Kayarath
A
thread 1/8
Now that I established the general vibe here, it's time for some exposition. Here's a thread where I go into my origins.
04:20 PM - Jan 25, 2024
Kayarath
A
thread 2/8
It all started when I discovered 91.8 The Fan (918thefan.com). An online #anime #radio station. Or maybe the better term is music stream? Besides the music stream, there were interviews with voice actors and other online anime related content.

I liked what they were doing so I joined them.
04:25 PM - Jan 25, 2024
Kayarath
A
thread 3/8
I spent many a year as a "content provider" which is basically a staff writer. I would write reviews, editorials, and whatever #weeb based idea crossed my fansy. The link in my profile shows all that I done. I think I did some good stuff.
05:25 PM - Jan 25, 2024
Kayarath
A
thread 4/8
But good writing isn't good enough when it comes to getting views. Maybe I just wasn't good enough to break out of the pack? It didn't help that my editor was ultimately more interested in getting a girlfriend then supporting me. And being a second fiddle to the core product didn't help either.
06:56 PM - Jan 25, 2024
Kayarath
A
thread 5/8
So I pivoted onto the interviewing team to be more useful. I help set up some banger interviews if I do say so myself. But my day job burned me out due to mismanagement in 2018/2019 so I eventually just stopped producing. Everyone else on the team felt the same way.
03:58 PM - Jan 26, 2024
Kayarath
A
thread 6/8
Despite everyone's work, 91.8 The Fan fizzled out. Maybe a bunch of random online weebs simply didn't have what it takes to build a successful media company? Maybe our niche was too much of a niche? Maybe stand alone websites just can't survive now? Maybe we just couldn't market right??
05:42 PM - Jan 26, 2024
Kayarath
A
thread 7/8
Some months ago, the music stream died. While it is possible to resurrect with a good deal of elbow grease, the juice isn't worth the squeeze. The death knell was confirmed a bit ago. The site is a dead man walking at this point.
06:40 PM - Jan 26, 2024
Kayarath
A
thread 8/8
What happened to all the people working there? A few pivoted towards different aspects of geekdom. Others just went on with their normal lives. One guy just disappeared off the internet. Luckily; a few are still my friends. As for me? I'm wondering the land; searching for a place called home.
08:55 PM - Jan 26, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}