Tracy I
A
thread 1/6
As an LGBTQ+ person, for many years being accepted seemed like the highest attainable goal for me in society. For everyone to just let me be, to live my life without harassment and disapproval.
03:41 PM - Jan 31, 2024
Tracy I
A
thread 2/6
One day we were in a work training and someone I regarded as an ally, or at least not and enemy, was asked what diversity meant as far as LGBTQ+ people were concerned and he said “we accept that they have the right to work here”
Tracy I
A
thread 3/6
I was dumb founded. I did not speak up in that moment because I was still realizing that this was only half a sentence. The unspoken part is “… even if we don’t want them to.” He was one of my most supportive co workers or so I thought, engaging in conversations where I mentioned my wife,
Tracy I
A
thread 4/6
not someone I avoided chatting with. I realized then that acceptance is not adequate for me. I would like to be included and even celebrated. I don’t want to sit in the corner of life and mind my business. I want a seat at the table with everyone else. I don’t want to blend in either. I want my
Tracy I
A
thread 5/6
uniqueness seen and recognized. This is what we all want and it is not too much to ask. We are not “flaunting” anything. On Valentine’s Day I’m gonna go buy a card that says “For my Wife” and I want the cashier to say “oh this is so sweet, I hope she likes it!” rather than quietly shove it in a bag.
Tracy I
A
thread 6/6
Not everyone feels comfortable and safe with that, some years I go through the self check out on purpose and THAT is the problem.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}