Gail Jahn (she, her)
A
I wore contact lenses in those days and whew! the dust blowing from the charcoal from some of the other students!
My teacher had me use an oilier kind (Conte Crayon) instead of charcoal, break in half, using the smaller vertical crayon to first layout the body frame, then build from there.
Karl S the Typo King @KarlS
I took an art class in high school, I liked it but knew it wasn’t my thing. They were using this crazy long piece of charcoal.
10:19 PM - Feb 05, 2024
10:53 PM - Feb 05, 2024
Karl S the Typo King
A
In response to Gail Jahn (she, her).
Oh I could see how that would irritate your eyes. The main thing I remember from my class was learning how to draw a larger version of a picture using a grid.
11:20 PM - Feb 05, 2024
Gail Jahn (she, her)
A
My first and so much fun. We'd draw (me with conte crayon) making a kind of stick-figure, then use circular motions to build muscle tone on arms, etc. Then we'd do "gesture drawing" - exaggerated, wildly swinging your movement as you drew, to loosen up tense shoulders, after the prior intense focus!
In response to Karl S the Typo King.
10:10 PM - Feb 06, 2024
Karl S the Typo King
A
In response to Gail Jahn (she, her).
It’s so interesting to watch all the layers get added as the night goes on. Lines turning into shapes, shapes getting more defined, and then all of a sudden there’s a picture. It’s pretty cool.
12:47 AM - Feb 07, 2024
Gail Jahn (she, her)
A
In response to Karl S the Typo King.
That's what I loved about it. You can just noodle around rubbing the conte crayon in circular motions, building off your stick figure. I'd love to get back to it someday (but I'm busy weaving on my new 4-shaft floor loom!
09:24 PM - Feb 07, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}