Anton Brakhage
A
thread 1/4
You know, the more I think about it, the more I realize that South Park basically pioneered the Trump method before Trump did.

They got away (and still do) with the most bigoted, abusive shit because "Its just a joke", and "South Park makes fun of everyone." Hell, I used to buy that line.
04:39 AM - Feb 07, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 2/4
Much like how Trump, at first, got away with a lot because, it was, as John Oliver put it, "just Donald being Donald".

This was also seen in people who argued shit like "Trump tells it like it is" or "All politicians are corrupt, but at least Trump's honest about it".
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 3/4
Be a massive enough asshole, to the point that it becomes your brand, and it warps around into a perverse form of credibility, where you get more leeway than if you were guilty of the hypocrisy of being a lesser, less consistent asshole.

A lot of "comedians" do this, particularly the lower sort.
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 4/4
The more I've realized this, the less I've liked South Park, or its creators.
#SouthPark #DonaldTrump
ffranny
A
You may be listening to/reading the wrong people. True comedy professionals (and even those of us who do it for nothing) never "punch down." In The Three Laws of Comedy, it comes right after "K is a funny letter," and the rule of three.
In response to Deb.
08:51 AM - Feb 07, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}