lorraine aylward
A
thread 1/7
I can't sleep. When I can't, I read the news. Not good. Anyway, Congo has major deposits of diamonds, gold, copper, cobalt, tin, tantalum and lithium, and wood.

And, surprise, surprise, there are plans for an oil pipeline in East Congo, (EACOP) These plans are backed by Uganda.
08:11 AM - Feb 10, 2024
lorraine aylward
A
thread 2/7
Regular ppl do not want this oil pipeline, bc they lose land area they need for farming.

In addition, Rwanda backs a rebel group, M23. They say M 23 is protecting the Tutsi interests in Congo.

Also, of course the US, the UK, and the EU back the oil pipeline.
lorraine aylward
A
thread 3/7
What is Biden's response?

Well, setting up "specific steps to reduce current tensions.” But the administration did not disclose the extent to which the U.S. was designing and overseeing the plan.
lorraine aylward
A
thread 4/7
The administration is also setting up an intelligence fusion cell — a formalized information-sharing mechanism — to transmit data to Congo and Rwanda about ground movements and to ensure both countries adhere to the deal.

Again, the Congolese are against US involvement,
lorraine aylward
A
thread 5/7
But Congo has the minerals we, the US, needs for its technology, and the sweet, sweet oil.. And the US wants to counter China's presence I am certainly no expert. I know nothing. But, it appears the Congolese already do not like the US telling them what to do.
lorraine aylward
A
thread 6/7
I predict the Congolese will want to do business with China, and not the US.
https://www.youtube.com/wa...
Protests have Erupted Outside US, UK, France Embassies in the DRC Kinshasa - YouTube

Protests have erupted Outside the French and British Embassies in the DRC KinshasaProtests against the US, UK, France and the EU are escalating in the Democr...

lorraine aylward
A
thread 7/7
Lei`alalani AAPI
A
There is so much (bad) happening at this point in time, almost everywhere. I am finding that I either can't sleep or don't want to wake up to yet another horror. It's horrific and heartbreaking. I am there with you.
In response to lorraine aylward.
08:55 AM - Feb 10, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}