Patrick Madden
A
thread 1/5
At what point do we start holding GOP voters responsible? The bad actors in office are enabled by these folks, and I think we infantilize them by suggesting they don't know, that they've been fooled.

Think of the Access Hollywood tape. We let them off the hook with "oh, they have not heard it!"
08:54 AM - Feb 14, 2024
Patrick Madden
A
thread 2/5
But come on. Every single GOP voter has heard "grab 'em by the *." And then thought to themselves "a serial rapist is exactly who I want to have as President!"

Or go with Charlottesville. It's not like they have not seen the video of the neo-Nazi driving into a crowd of people, killing one woman,
Patrick Madden
A
thread 3/5
injuring dozens. Every GOP voter says to themselves "hey, they're hurting black folks, and that's awesome. I'm definitely voting for the hurting-black-folks party!"

I think there's a belief that we can't "offend" the GOP voter, because we need them to vote for Democrats. By treating them with
Patrick Madden
A
thread 4/5
kid gloves, though, I think it enables them to follow their worst instincts (which are largely racism, misogyny, religious bigotry, and garden variety corruption and thievery).

GOP elected folks are terrible because they're enabled by GOP voters. GOP voters are terrible because they face no social
Patrick Madden
A
thread 5/5
repercussions for who they support, and what they allow.

The GOP has no qualms about demonizing Democratic voters (it's essential to their strategy).

Why do we hesitate to call out people who are enthusiastic supporters of serial rape?

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}