Jeff Pilchard
A
thread 1/7
One of the best books I've read in my journey to learn what White supremacy refused to teach me, about a man I consider to be one of the two greatest Americans of the 19th century (the other being Lincoln).
11:37 AM - Feb 14, 2024
Jeff Pilchard
A
thread 2/7
Born into slavery on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, Douglass literally battled one of his enslavers, surreptitiously learned to read, and eventually, with the help of his first wife, Anna Murray, escaped to freedom in the North.
Jeff Pilchard
A
thread 3/7
He became one of the most famous, and possibly the most photographed, Americans of that century.
Jeff Pilchard
A
thread 4/7
He honed his substantial oratorical gifts as he traveled across the US campaigning for abolition, but his freedom was under constant threat and he had to leave the US for Britain at one point to escape slave-catchers (his freedom was soon afterwards purchased by his British supporters).
Jeff Pilchard
A
thread 5/7
Douglass wrote three autobiographies: the first two were best-sellers before the Civil War, the third brought his life's story almost up to his death. After the war, Douglass was an influential member of the Republican Party, and a leader in the fight for freedpeople's and women's rights.
Jeff Pilchard
A
thread 6/7
Blight's Pulitzer Prize-winning biography is outstanding, even tho' it is in many ways just an introduction to this brilliant and complex man.
Jeff Pilchard
A
thread 7/7
Douglass didn't know his own birthday, not even the year, but he did understand it to have been in February, so picked the 14th as the day he would celebrate his birth. And so we do to.
11:38 AM - Feb 14, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}