Andrea Ball
A
Why would you associate drag queens or trans people with mass shootings? Even as a joke. Even as a completely far-fetched, no-basis-in-truth joke?
Will Hutchinson @wphutch
Somehow, I'll bet it wasn't a drag queen, a trans person, or even a 49ers fan
03:37 PM - Feb 14, 2024
03:57 PM - Feb 14, 2024
Miggs Bylaws
A
In response to Andrea Ball.
I also think OP was trying to draw attention to the ridiculous fear-mongering the far-right is creating of queer folks while completely ignoring the real threat of a lack of sensible gun laws. But it's a good point that mentioning queer people in 'the same breath' of a mass shooting = association.
04:55 PM - Feb 14, 2024
Andrea Ball
A
In response to Miggs Bylaws.
You’re likely right. I try to criticize the take rather than the person, though it may come across as the same thing.
04:58 PM - Feb 14, 2024
PS Annie
A
I believe Will is being sarcastic and referencing the hysteria from the right about how "dangerous" drag queens and trans people are, particularly to kids. He's attempting to highlight the fact that the real danger is easy access to weapons of war.
04:05 PM - Feb 14, 2024
Andrea Ball
A
In response to PS Annie.
That is likely true, but for me the repeated association is damaging. Like in advertising.
04:06 PM - Feb 14, 2024
Doctor Michael
A
In response to PS Annie.
It’s the associations that we have an issue with.
04:31 PM - Feb 14, 2024
Kathleen Kern
A
He's doing it because white evangelicals are trying to make it a thing--that trans people are after Christians (and so Christian Nationalists are justified in being hateful to them.)
04:02 PM - Feb 14, 2024
Andrea Ball
A
In response to Kathleen Kern.
This (a football parade) isn’t the usual arena for that kind of response, though. There’s already a conspiracy theory about the KC win.
04:04 PM - Feb 14, 2024 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}