Portia McGonagal
A
thread 1/5
I've been exposed to and loved all kinds of music. From classical, Calypso/Soca, pop, rock, R&B, soul, Motown, hip-hop, to sea shanties and Gregorian chants. Country too. What I hate are the narrowly defined assumptions around Country including about patriotism. 1/
02:22 PM - Feb 14, 2024
Portia McGonagal
A
thread 2/5
2/
Whenever it became associated with white conservatism is why I don't generally say to people I don't know that "I like country". All music tends to be more about specific songs vs genre for me. Artists I like sometimes make songs I don't. But "Country" (in this country) is
Portia McGonagal
A
thread 3/5
3/
loaded with assumptions. If you like it you're patriotic. If you don't, you're not. And that definition of patriotism hardened, especially in the "for us or against us" Bush era. I wonder how many of those "patriots" some of whom never served, know that people like
Portia McGonagal
A
thread 4/5
4/
ICE-T are veterans? Jimi Hendrix, Jerry Garcia, Shaggy, MC Hammer...all veterans. So I look forward to people who think that Country is theirs, that Country is white, that Country is conservative, losing their sh*t over Beyonce and she and other artists breaking
Portia McGonagal
A
thread 5/5
5/5
the perception that it's that narrowly defined. #RandomThoughts

Shared this "elsewhere" and it was suggested I share here too!
Portia McGonagal
A
Plus Kenny, Kenny and Dolly...I still (badly) sing "Islands in the Stream" at the top of my lungs!
In response to 💜 Callie 💜.
08:45 AM - Feb 15, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}