Spoutible Banned Book Club
A
#SpoutibleBannedBookClub #FireTalkingPoint

“If the concept of God has any validity or any use, it can only be to make us larger, freer, and more loving. If God cannot do this, then it is time we got rid of Him.” (p. 47)

What do you think?

#SBBC #FireNextTime
02:16 PM - Feb 17, 2024
Ruth Neese
A
In response to Spoutible Banned Book Club.
#SBBC #FireNextTime I’m with Baldwin. Time to get rid of the 2000 yr. old god of desert goatherds. Been used to justify far too much evil. We need an Antiracist god.
06:50 PM - Feb 17, 2024
Angelique Yaich
A
In response to Ruth Neese.
I don't know if you can have any "god" and it not become a reason to define "others"...I think we have to believe that we are all part of the universe and strive to make the whole better....I found Baldwins concern over the Nation of Islam's ideas to hit on that point.
12:20 AM - Feb 18, 2024
Dréa25
A
Mr. Baldwin's relationship with the church, 1st as a PK (preacher’s kid) and then as preacher himself was complicated. He saw the good (faith devotion to God) and the bad (hurting in the name of God). He's right though, why bother quoting God if you’re not going to Love like God. #SBBC #FireNextTime
02:41 PM - Feb 17, 2024
Kos
A
I have to agree - I think that summarizes it pretty well too, and I don’t have much to add. I think Western religion has settled only for the hope of an afterlife, and that’s not going to sustain itself. If you’re not growing you’re dying
02:39 PM - Feb 17, 2024
Evolve Undefined
A
#SBBC #thefirenexttime I couldn’t agree more. As with so many things, Baldwin deeply understood Christianity far better than most so called Christians. He saw some potential for love but especially its deep hypocrisy, shortcomings & corruption. Could not agree more with his statement about “god”.
02:33 PM - Feb 17, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}