Fern Lovebond (they/them)
A
thread 1/8
It's always fascinating to see how different news outlets frame a story. This is why #GroundNews is my favorite #News source; it shows me the #MediaBias of various sources.

For example, let's look at this story:

"Biden administration considering delaying switch to electric vehicles: Report"
09:07 AM - Feb 19, 2024
A
thread 2/8
• The left emphasizes the Biden administration's plan to relax emissions limits for EVs, specifically highlighting the focus on increasing EV sales "until after 2030." In comparison, the center only mentions that the plan aims to give automakers more time to meet requirements.
A
thread 3/8
So let's contrast that a little more.

• The center focuses on automakers pushing for a slower transition to EVs and concerns over cost, while the left emphasizes the White House's proposal to target a 67% U.S. EV market share by 2032 and the goal to cut greenhouse gas emissions.

Moving on...
A
thread 4/8
• The right aligns with the center by mentioning a delay in strict emissions requirements until after 2030, emphasizing the administration's preparation to ease the push for electric vehicles due to low demand and concerns from dealerships and automakers.

And what do we see in terms of numbers?
A
thread 5/8
Of the 25 articles Ground News has grouped under this story, 7 are left-bias, 7 are central, and 5 are right-bias.

A skim of the sources shows most of the "high factuality" rankings are on the left and center, while the right reporting is often coupled with "mixed factuality." Good to know.
A
thread 6/8
So overall, I can see that—if the issue is brought up in discussion of #Politics—right -leaning ppl will focus on how industry is impacted by regulation, while left-leaning ppl will likely stress the economic impacts.

And with info on how our media shapes our biases, we have better self-awareness.
A
thread 7/8
Self-awareness about our biases lets us put them into proper priority, allows us to make more informed and thoughtful decisions when weighing our options. We can sift thru spin, look for the real heart of the issue for ourselves.

This is why I share Ground News stories instead of root sources.
A
thread 8/8
I'm aware that Spoutible is heavily left-leaning, and I'm very okay with that. But I also know that I need to be aware of more than just our shared values, that media can lead to blindpots and misinformation. I like to be careful about that, & maybe you do, too:

https://ground.news/blinds...

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}