Girl With The Most Cake
A
thread 1/4
I try to spend #BlackHistoryMonth educating myself through reading. This year, I am reading "Caste: The Origins of our Discontents" by Isabel Wilkerson. I'm only halfway through, but it is an extremely thought-provoking work comparing India's and Nazi Germany's caste systems to America's.
11:51 AM - Feb 20, 2024
Girl With The Most Cake
A
thread 2/4
I was struck by the story of MLK, Jr's visit to India where he was introduced as one of America's untouchables. He found himself initially a little shocked and peeved by the comparison, but upon some quick reflection, he realized it was true. In my lifetime, I have seen some superficial changes,
Girl With The Most Cake
A
thread 3/4
but i fear that we will never be able to rid ourselves of this disgusting blight on our society. It seems that for every one person attempting to correct it, there are a hundred fighting to keep our caste system in place. I find myself hoping that by the end of the book, I find reason to be a
Girl With The Most Cake
A
thread 4/4
little more hopeful, but I realize it not the author's job nor intent to make this white person "feel better". I welcome any discussion with others that may be reading or have read this book

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}