Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
We need to codify Roe and pass the John Lewis Voting Rights Act. If it really shakes out this way, we need to focus on those 2 things first. Period. Gun control right after. Let's ban assault rifles again. Let's do whatever we can with everyday we have a majority to shore up democracy.
Christopher Bouzy @cbouzy
IF my predictions are accurate, Biden will be reelected, the Democrats will maintain control of the Senate with 50 seats, VP Harris will be the tie-breaker, and the Democrats will take control of the House. The House will not be close, and Democrats will win control of the House with 25+ seats.
10:16 AM - Feb 22, 2024
09:48 PM - Feb 22, 2024
Whiskerchops von Fuzzybutt
A
I agree, but consider granting statehood to DC (plenty of political support) and Puerto Rico (somewhat less popular) and “lock in” Dem control for a number of years

That would make abortion and voting rights acts so much more attainable and permanent
In response to Acey Deecey 🚀🚀.
09:53 PM - Feb 22, 2024
Sabine
A
In response to Whiskerchops von Fuzzybutt.
AND reunite the Dakotas.
06:12 AM - Feb 23, 2024
A
In response to Sabine.
Should Maine go back to Massachusetts, too? 🧐

No one talks about reuniting the Viginaias. Probably because Virginia doesn’t want West Virginia back. 😂

But in all seriousness, yes. Gotta follow the rules. Like expanding SCOTUS to 13 justices. 👍
06:18 AM - Feb 23, 2024
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
BTW, I don't disagree that those 2 things would be good things to do, at least D.C. statehood. I think Puerto Rico wants freedom. All I'm saying is all those new Congressional seats mean bupkis if half go to Republicabs through suppression and gerrymandering.
10:00 PM - Feb 22, 2024
A
Oh yes - you and I are on the same page. We’re arguing “order of operation”; not priority 😉
06:01 AM - Feb 23, 2024
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
Both of those are an incredible long shot though. And who's to say GOP in those 2 places wouldn't suppress and gerrymander their way to power, look at Texas? The vote, and having it backed up by law and courts is the greatest safety net of democracy. More people don't matter if they can't vote.
09:59 PM - Feb 22, 2024
A
I’m from Ohio - I know gerrymandering

DC statehood initiatives keep gaining traction in Congress. Local support for PR is mixed, you’re right. (That’s why I couched my answer! 😉)

However, there is good reason to believe (and Republicans fear) those 6 electoral vote will go Dem for a long time
05:54 AM - Feb 23, 2024
A
Constitution rules state both would get 2 Senators, but both would be too small to get more than 1 Representative (under the Permanent Appointment Act). So gerrymandering concerns are moot - until the local population grows larger
06:00 AM - Feb 23, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}