Nefarious Newt
A
thread 1/3
It's less "taught to" and more "taught about." I think, if we go back to the lack of critical reasoning being taught in schools, Rand provides and excellent example of the hypocrisy of Libertarian thinking. There will always be those who gravitate toward it. I did at one time. Then I grew up.
Inconclusive Laura®️ @Canyonsfan
09:03 AM - Feb 24, 2024
09:09 AM - Feb 24, 2024
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 2/3
As with inoculations, taking a small does of the disease and giving it to the patient, strengthens their immunity. If we simply tell kids "This is bad, don't read it!", they will, of course, go out and read it, without the structures and supports a well-trained teacher can provide.
09:10 AM - Feb 24, 2024
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 3/3
If we want to prevent the spread of MAGA-like authoritarianism, we have to start cutting the supports for their "arguments" out from under them, and one of those supports is the "self-made person." It's FP45's mantra - I am successful, I did it all MYSELF, only I can fix these problems, etc.
09:12 AM - Feb 24, 2024
Socio-gen
A
In response to Terry Stinnett.
Thanks for saying so! I remember trying to make sure he understood that it was my hard work, but also that I didn't see providing those things as a burden or a creating any expectations from him beyond recognizing his good fortune compared to others.
02:03 PM - Feb 24, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}