Literate Lawyer
A
thread 1/8
I’m behind on my book recommendations, but have two for the price of one today! THE WOMEN by Kristin Hannah and THE FROZEN RIVER by Ariel Lawhon. They couldn’t be more different, except that they both address women being discounted while doing important work in a man’s world.
12:14 PM - Feb 24, 2024
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 2/8
These women are separated by 2 centuries, a fact that underscores what Bette McGrath tells her daughter in THE WOMEN, “The world changes for men, Frances. For women, it stays pretty much the same.” Unfortunately, this is still too true.

First, THE WOMEN.
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 3/8
Few authors can reach into your soul and leave an imprint the way Hannah can. I’m a longtime fan (THE NIGHTINGALE is one of my all-time favorites) and this book did not disappoint—I read until I couldn’t keep my eyes open, but then couldn’t fall asleep because my mind wouldn’t let go of the story.
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 4/8
You’d think being a nurse in Vietnam would be the most traumatic experience imaginable for a sheltered, privileged California girl, but in Frankie McGrath’s case, her homecoming is even more challenging.
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 5/8
Hannah doesn’t shy away from exposing the truth of an ugly, divisive period, but by focusing on the people, she weaves facts, fiction and important truths into a story that inspires sympathy and admiration for the brave men and women who served their country in a dangerous jungle on the other side
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 6/8
of the world. There’s so much to unpack—a perfect book club selection! I’m giving it five stars and naming it as one of my top reads for 2024.

THE FROZEN RIVER is presented as a mystery, but the real story is about the real life and work of a woman in Colonial Maine.
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 7/8
The book was inspired by Martha Ballard’s diary, which details her days as a wife, mother and primary healthcare provider in a rugged new world. Martha was amazing, but I couldn’t help but think of all the other strong, courageous and largely forgotten women who built this country.
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 8/8
History has largely been dominated by men; this book tells the story of an extraordinary woman living an ordinary life and is, in a word, fascinating. I was so taken with Martha that I bought the Pulitzer Prize-winning analysis of her diary, A MIDWIFE’S TALE, by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}