Claes Brameus
A
Considering recent SCOTUS rulings where "original intent" and "historic precedence " have been in focus - When will an amendment be ruled unconstitutional? Clearly they are not what was originally intended in the constitution...
09:37 AM - Feb 25, 2024
Geannie Bastian
A
In response to Claes Brameus.
Well they’d have to contend with Article V, which says the presence of amendments was intentional. From there you’ve got Separation of powers (Articles I-III) and if they get past that, the historic precedent of Amendments 18 and 21.

But I suppose Alito and Thomas might try.
09:54 AM - Feb 25, 2024 (Edited)
Claes Brameus
A
I am sure you can legally contest an amendment some way. Just because no one has tried, doesn't mean it won't happen.
The ruling about gun laws shows how they can cherry pick obsolete laws to find reasons to rule one way or the other.
Historically we did not recognize women or slaves as citizens
In response to Geannie Bastian.
10:13 AM - Feb 25, 2024
Geannie Bastian
A
In response to Claes Brameus.
Correct, the processes for contesting an amendment, constitutionally, is either during the substantial ratification process or through repeal, which requires another amendment.

As I said, I would not put it past a couple of them to try going around the process. But five? That’s a lift.
10:21 AM - Feb 25, 2024 (Edited)
Claes Brameus
A
In response to Geannie Bastian.
Nothing surprises me any more when it comes to the groups that is dismantling democracy and rule of law
10:25 AM - Feb 25, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}