Marcie
A
Here's a Purple Coneflower (Echinacea purpurea) from last year's garden. #NativePlants
02:26 PM - Feb 25, 2024
Jacqueline
A
In response to Marcie.
I’m so excited to see my natives start coming up. I had a lot of happy surprises last year!
04:58 PM - Feb 25, 2024
Marcie
A
In response to Jacqueline.
Me too! I was surprised at how many new things popped up last year that I didn't actually plant. A couple varieties of native asters, and a couple other ones I can't remember the names of right now. Makes me happy. 🥰
05:01 PM - Feb 25, 2024
Jacqueline
A
In response to Marcie.
I spread a bunch of native seed mixes in Oct ‘21 that I thought were a bust, but came up like gangbusters last spring. So much Rudbeckia! I also had spotted St. John’s wort appear out of nowhere. So happy it was a native variety and not the invasive kind. 💛
05:09 PM - Feb 25, 2024
Marcie
A
I have a bunch of geranium to dig out. I got a plant from a friend's mother, and was told it was a native variety, but turns out it's native to Spain, I think? Of course, 15 years later, I have lots of it. So that will be one of my projects this spring. :)
05:19 PM - Feb 25, 2024
Jacqueline
A
In response to Marcie.
Ugh, that’s the worst. A friend gave me some orange day lilies that I later found out are called ditch lilies because they are so aggressive and pervasive. I will be digging those out forever. 🤦🏻‍♀️
06:42 PM - Feb 25, 2024
Marcie
A
We had orange day lilies when we moved here 18 years ago. I liked them at the time, and wasn't into native plants then, so I split them up and had them all over. Big mistake. Dug them all out three years ago and went all natives. 😊
07:28 PM - Feb 25, 2024
M McC
A
Good for you! I did the traditional non-native plants most of my life - until I discovered native plants. Now that is all I plant in my gardens!
In response to Marcie.
07:34 PM - Feb 25, 2024
Marcie
A
In response to M McC.
My yard was about a third native plants, and a bunch of day lilies and goutweed. It took several weeks to dig out all the goutweed and lilies, but they haven't come back. My soil is sandy loam, which I think helped a lot. I have heard that goutweed is nearly impossible to get rid of.
07:37 PM - Feb 25, 2024
Jacqueline
A
In response to Marcie.
Goutweed is horrible! It had taken over the tiny garden I had at my previous home and I spent 10 years digging it out. Now I’ve been fighting garlic mustard for 5 years and making headway. My biggest problem is now yellow archangel.
08:09 PM - Feb 25, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}