ecsbrooklyn
A
@DailyPictureTheme #DailyPictureTheme #Weave

This was my first attempt at making a challah with six strands. You say braid, I say #weave . Next time, I'll have a kitchen scale so the strands will be the same weight. In the meantime, it was delicious, thanks to Claire Saffitz and my brother.
08:41 PM - Feb 25, 2024
Marshall Julie
A
My grandfather owned a Jewish bakery in The Bronx from the 20s to the early 60s. After he retired and sold the building so it became a supermarket. One of his customers stopped him in the street and asked for his challah recipe. My grandfather explained that it started with a pail of eggs.
In response to ecsbrooklyn.
09:21 PM - Feb 25, 2024 (Edited)
Marshall Julie
A
In response to Marshall Julie.
2/

The man didn’t know what that was, and my grandfather explained that his eggs came pre-cracked into pails. Each pail held 30 dozen eggs. The next item in the recipe was a bag of flour, which was a 100 lb bag. Grandpa didn’t know how to bake two challot.
09:23 PM - Feb 25, 2024
ecsbrooklyn
A
My kid once worked in the kitchen at his summer camp. When he came home, he made WAY too much food and when I commented, he said he didn't know how to make smaller quantities! And my step-grandfather was a baker at a Jewish bakery at about the same time as yours, but on the lower East side.
11:39 PM - Feb 25, 2024 (Edited)
ecsbrooklyn
A
Love it. That's a lot of challah!
09:23 PM - Feb 25, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}