Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 1/9
13.3% of Dems voted ‘Uncommitted’ in Michigan, per WaPo w/98% of the votes counted. This is slightly more than the almost 11% who voted Uncommitted when Barak Obama ran as an incumbent in 2012.

As @nefariousnewt notes here on Spoutible, POTUS received about 81% of the votes.
07:59 AM - Feb 28, 2024
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 2/9
Some (many) of my Ann Arbor friends joined the ‘Uncommitted’ vote. I’m ok with this, though I would not have done so. Given the threat to the democratic core of our nation, it is an existential necessity to support Biden-Harris against the demagogue would-be dictator and anti-Muslim racist.
08:02 AM - Feb 28, 2024
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 3/9
I believe the main complaints against Biden are the result of Russian disinformation campaigns. Biden is not complicit in genocide, and is trying to create a ceasefire (which he calls a ‘humanitarian pause’) despite opposition from some of the worst people on the planet.
08:12 AM - Feb 28, 2024
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 4/9
The idea that Biden is supporting Israel militarily only shows that he is in line with every single US administration. In fact, Biden has shown more ability to criticize the apartheid regime than any previous president.
08:13 AM - Feb 28, 2024
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 5/9
I believe that, were it not for the need to secure the usual 70% of the American Jewish vote for the Democrats, Biden would be even more vocal - and even more active - in opposition to Netanyahu. It is clear to me that Bibi favors Trump, as does Putin. Biden opposes the illegal settlements.
08:16 AM - Feb 28, 2024
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 6/9
I’m sure Biden knows exactly what Bibi, Ben Gvir and the fanatical theocratic racist cohort are.

But too many Jewish voters (some in my own coöp) feel all Palestinians are to blame for Hamas’ crimes, and ignore decades of oppression of Palestinians by various Israeli regimes.
08:19 AM - Feb 28, 2024
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 7/9
The geopolitics of the Middle East are more complex than I can fathom, for sure - I admit that freely.

So, I rely on Biden, Blinken, and their experienced and erudite team to negotiate the best compromise in an impossible situation that has two sides full of intransigent ethnic cleansers fighting.
08:21 AM - Feb 28, 2024
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 8/9
It feels impossible to envision peace while the right-wing fanatical Netanyahu regime rules Israel, and the right-wing fanatical Hamas regime rules Gaza.
Biden seeks reform of the Palestinian Authority. I think Marwan Barghouti should be released as part of the ceasefire currently being negotiated.
08:25 AM - Feb 28, 2024
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 9/9
I think Biden’s path is nearly impossible, but is the only one that is at all possible.
08:26 AM - Feb 28, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}