RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
thread 1/9
I'm going to be honest. In a QS from last night, somebody reminded me that yes...there are people who have anxieties, depressions, and mental destress when it comes to politics (or life in general). For the vast majority who know better, knows that doomsaying and defeatism is unacceptable.
06:32 AM - Feb 29, 2024
A
thread 2/9
However, it's important to note that the corporate media takes advantage of these people for ratings. The corporate media's only job is to make money. They're owned by publicly traded entities whose charter demands it. Often times, when you watch say, MSNBC, on a certain topic...
A
thread 3/9
There's going to be doomsaying and it will be repeated ad nauseum. For some, it will be ignored. For others, their psyche will kick into a fight or flight response. Let's take the Michigan Democratic Primary for example. A good amount of us had a response of pure white-hot anger.
A
thread 4/9
Also with yesterday's SCOTUS ruling (which I do believe they'll rule Against Trump) the same kind of anger came out. However, here is where the anxiety and defeatism takes place. There are some who believe that the courts will be hyper outlandish.
A
thread 5/9
However, let's keep in mind that even the five Republicans on the bench would be loathed to grant such power. Even with the legal and mental gymnastics...they realize that Biden would have that kind of power as well. Now, here is where I have a bone with the corporate media.
A
thread 6/9
They often prey on people who actually suffer from depression, and anxiety. Because I said from the top, this kind of fear, doomsaying, and defeatism sells clicks/papers/ads. The biggest thing you can do to protect yourself from this is to turn off the news media for a bit.
A
thread 7/9
Also if you are suffering from these conditions, go seek help from a licensed therapist (M.D/Ph.D.). The right one can help you through this entanglement and to help you better understand the world around you. Also, this is a time to make sure that you turn about your way of thinking.
A
thread 8/9
There are things outside of your control. Let those go. Focus on the things you can control. As for myself, I will continue to make sure I do learn from others, to not fall into the trap. I also will make sure that I will be sympathetic to everybody else's plight.
A
thread 9/9
Defeatism is something that can come from depression, anxiety, or trauma. For those of us who haven't suffer from such trauma, then we have to be kind. If you have suffered trauma, we have your back and want you to take care of your self. Yes politics is taxing, but do take care of yourself.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}