az (lowercase intentional)
A
thread 1/10
the following thread is my experiences and observations, which are biased because i am human. nonetheless, i think they’re valuable, or i wouldn’t be sharing them.
01:14 PM - Mar 05, 2024
A
thread 2/10
i was born at the end of 1996. when i was 13 or 14, i got a facebook account; i’ve been on instagram, snapchat, twitter, tumblr, tiktok, and various other platforms since then. this year, i will turn 28, which means that i’ve been a legal adult for nearly a decade.
A
thread 3/10
i’m not the first nor will i be the last to say that social media has changed how we consume information.
A
thread 4/10
the world i inhabit online is extremely punitive toward people who don’t have fully formed opinions on topics, or who change their minds, or who are overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information that flashes past their eyes on a daily basis.
A
thread 5/10
the world itself does not actually move all that faster now than it did, say, 50 years ago. what has changed is that we’re all expected to know and care about every single thing that is happening in the world. this is exhausting! it’s also not sustainable!
A
thread 6/10
someone like me, someone in their 20s who is unemployed or working a minimum-wage job, who is being yelled at online to boycott various companies on behalf of Palestine, who barely has enough time and energy to take care of their physical bodily needs and household chores...
A
thread 7/10
someone who has grown up in an internet era where having the “wrong” opinion could result in them being cut off from their friends, and/or being doxxed and harassed. someone who has been socialized to believe that older generations are the problem and therefore don't listen to them...
A
thread 8/10
someone who has watched climate change happen and has become convinced that it’s unstoppable and that our governments do not care about the longevity or sustainability of our planet...
A
thread 9/10
i’m not saying any of this is right. but can you see how someone like that would be incredibly apathetic about this US presidential election? especially if we're getting yelled at on social media for not voting, or for voting in a way that you don't like?
A
thread 10/10
also, i’m gonna need y’all to be just as loud *if not louder* about telling people to vote in other elections. because if the only time you yell at us to vote is the US presidential elections, we’re going to think that the US presidential elections are the only ones that matter.
A
i may not have said this clearly in the thread. information overload results in apathy. i am overloaded with information on a daily basis. i have to spend energy figuring out what to spend energy caring about. this isn't an intellectual exercise for me either.
In response to Salma Typhii.
01:22 PM - Mar 05, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
In response to az (lowercase intentional).
Got it! And totally get it. I have to just shut stuff out and focus on a smaller number of goals
01:25 PM - Mar 05, 2024
Liza
A
In response to Salma Typhii.
Yep. If I feel overwhelmed I log off. If social media and/or what I consume online becomes overwhelming then I take a break. I refuse to sacrifice my joy & inner peace for this.
06:49 PM - Mar 05, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}