Joseph Kolacinski
A
thread 1/14
Let's give this a go.

This is President Biden’s big opportunity to dispel the competency nonsense.

Let's go!
#sotu
08:59 PM - Mar 07, 2024
Joseph Kolacinski
A
thread 2/14
Here’s a bit of context before the speech starts. This if the first time since 1912 that two or more people who served as President are competing for reelection.

So far President Biden has been beating expectations in all of his primaries while Donald Trump has fallen behind in his.
09:08 PM - Mar 07, 2024
Joseph Kolacinski
A
thread 3/14
I like all the representatives dressed in white for reproductive freedom. It’s smart optics for them to sit together as well.

Meanwhile Mark Kelly looks like a Talosian from behind.
#sofu #startrek
09:13 PM - Mar 07, 2024
Joseph Kolacinski
A
thread 4/14
The cat’s sitting on me. Didn’t think she was interested in politics.

Apparently Merrick Garland is 5’ 7’.

The walk to the podium is taking a while. That chamber must be bigger than I thought.

The pundits are wondering if Johnson is too afraid to ask MTG to take off her hat. It lacks decorum.
09:24 PM - Mar 07, 2024
Joseph Kolacinski
A
thread 5/14
Woo!! Let’s go!

That’s a hell of a grin! Damn this is good. quoting FDR is a strong start. Democracy is under attack at home and abroad. Way to not bury the lede.

I wouldn't usually approve of quoting Reagan but if it shames the right people…

And #NATO… bam. Not kidding around.
#sotu
09:31 PM - Mar 07, 2024
Joseph Kolacinski
A
thread 6/14
Remember Letterman’s “Great Moments in Presidential Speeches?” We should run this next to Trump slurring his words.

And reproductive freedom is front and center. Biden isn’t pulling any punches. “Women are not without political power and you’re about to see how much.”

“Send me a Congress and…
09:39 PM - Mar 07, 2024
Joseph Kolacinski
A
thread 7/14
…and I’ll restore Row v. Wade.”

This is terrific. Touting the economy that he hasn’t been getting enough credit for. And infrastructure.

I like noting that every child had the right to clean drinking water and should be free from potential brain damage.

Stuff is flying by… all of it’s great.
09:46 PM - Mar 07, 2024
Joseph Kolacinski
A
thread 8/14
I’m not sure what that look on Johnson’s face. But he should have stood for camping the price on insulin.

Trump may be leading in the polls right now. If we get a fair side-by-side comparison Trump won’t be able to stand up against this in a side by side comparison.
#WheresTheDecline ?
#sotu
09:56 PM - Mar 07, 2024 (Edited)
Joseph Kolacinski
A
thread 10/14
Talking back to the grumbling Republicans was a nice touch.

Strong on taxes & protecting Social Security.

And “Junk Fees” is a good kitchen table issue.

And going after the Republicans for reneging on their border bill is also good politics. It was nice to see Jim Langford nodding along. #sotu
10:09 PM - Mar 07, 2024
Joseph Kolacinski
A
thread 11/14
Who was the guy standing and clapping all by himself?

“We all come from somewhere and we’re all Americans.”

I think Mike Johnson accidently nodded along before catching himself.

Voting Rights really are the ball game. I’m glad Biden’s taking a strong stance on that.
#sotu
10:17 PM - Mar 07, 2024
Joseph Kolacinski
A
thread 12/14
It’s also smart to call out the misinformation about the crime rate while being strident about still having more to do.

We’ve at the Crisis in the Middle East. I bet we close on this. This is a real vulnerability for the President. Fighting for a cease fire is good. Humanitarian aid to Gaza
10:24 PM - Mar 07, 2024
Joseph Kolacinski
A
thread 13/14
Is Good. Calling for protecting civilians is smart. Calling for safety in Gaza is smart. And calling for a two-state solution is smart.

I guess we’re not ending on the Middle East. Ending on the American story and protecting democracy is better.

“We’ve never live up to the ideal…
#sotu
10:32 PM - Mar 07, 2024
Joseph Kolacinski
A
thread 14/14
But we never shyed away from it either.’

“I see a future…” is a strong refrain and Biden made the most of it.

Wow. Powerful speech. Great job!

And now… the surprisingly long walk out of that chamber.

Now let’s see the two candidates side by side. Biden will dominate.
#sotu
10:36 PM - Mar 07, 2024 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}