Ground Control
A
thread 1/7
#ComicCreators

In the field of comics, Matt Wagner is a unique case. This writer and artist has spent 30 years bouncing between manistream and indie work, always with a unique take on his storytelling. Allow me to highlight my favorites...
09:35 AM - Mar 09, 2024
Ground Control
A
thread 2/7
The Grendel Saga: easily his longest-running work, which goes noir pulp to post-apocalyptic, this cycle of comics is a bracing, sometimes disturbing breakdown of power, history's dynamics and the self-destructive nature of our worst selves.
Ground Control
A
thread 3/7
The Mage Trilogy: equal parts Arthurian urban fantasy and fictionalized autobiography (the protagonist looks like Wagner himself), this first major work of Wagner's uses the Hero's Journey to tell a more complete story of the costs of doing the right thing.
Ground Control
A
thread 4/7
Sandman Mystery Theatre: my first intro to Wagner (albeit as a writer), this follows Wesley Dodds through an unprettified 1938-1940 NYC, haunted by dreams sent by that OTHER Sandman by Gaiman to solve bizarre and brutal crimes. Guy Davis' artwork is masterful.
Ground Control
A
thread 5/7
Batman: Faces. Originally a three-parter in the Legends Of The Dark Knight series, this compact mystery involving so-called "circus freaks" used by Two-Face questions the morality of assuming monstrousness from appearance alone.
Ground Control
A
thread 6/7
The Shadow: Year One. Seen mostly through the eyes of his "friend and companion" Margo Lane, this origin story again grounds itself in historical NYC (this time, the beginning of the Great Depression) to track the evolution of Batman's spiritual father.
Ground Control
A
thread 7/7
Batman/Grendel: In the 1990s era of crossovers, this one was the undisputed king. Either instance is worth the read: Hunter Rose playing cat-and-mouse with Bruce Wayne or Grendel Prime doing a Terminator routine for Rose's skull that Batman must stop.
Jeannie (she/her)
A
In response to Ground Control.
Bookmarking so I remember to check these out. Thanks for sharing!
09:37 AM - Mar 09, 2024
Ground Control
A
In response to Jeannie (she/her).
My pleasure...Wagner was SJW LONG before the term was used and he remains an uncompromising creator who pushes himself. There's plenty more of his stuff to look at beyond this list!
09:45 AM - Mar 09, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}