Fern Lovebond (they/them)
A
thread 1/5
Seeing @u_go_grls offering some of my own questions in the pod, I want to say the integration of Google is concerning, if it means they have sway over policy enforcement or the viability of user content.
#WaveOfWorries CC: @cbouzy
12:57 PM - Mar 10, 2024
A
thread 2/5
I'm not crying wolf, here, but it's something I'm thinking about. Google "partners" w/ 🐳, & next thing we see, a piece of user-generated content is deleted for violating the agreement between 🐳 & Google Ads. Okay, makes sense, I guess--that's the contract, right?
A
thread 3/5
But what if Google policy slides into matters of grayer concern, like IP rights & DRCM? Or what if Google becomes an ostensibly well-meaning giant which says it wants to "combat oppression & bigotry", but ends up in a defacto censorship model? I mean, isn't that kind of what happened already?
A
thread 4/5
I didn't care for the content removed, personally, but I have the ability to scroll on, like anyone. And more importantly, I *DO* care about the free speech in public squares like a SMS.

I don't have all the answers, but I am concerned, and just trying to figure out what to do with that concern.
A
thread 5/5
I still rather like this space, and respect Bouzy's efforts to make it the best platform possible. This is a difficult conundrum, a tightrope I couldn't walk, & I know the whole team of diverse perspectives will be needed to navigate it.

I just want to be sure the users think about it, too.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}