✨Witchy Woman✨
A
It will never not bother me that a group of feminists made a movie specifically about feminism and all anybody cares about or quotes is the goddamn song lamenting poor white men
10:30 PM - Mar 10, 2024
Missy McMurray
A
In response to ✨Witchy Woman✨.
But it didn’t win, the one written and performed by the woman did. So there’s that.
10:34 PM - Mar 10, 2024
✨Witchy Woman✨
A
In response to Missy McMurray.
does it really matter when the only takeaway from that movie is the goddamn Ken song?

which do you think ppl will remember - what won or what is being repeated and glorified the most??
12:19 AM - Mar 11, 2024
RA
A
It's not just the song. That whole fucking movie was about Ken, and I will never forgive them.
12:21 AM - Mar 11, 2024
✨Witchy Woman✨
A
In response to RA.
THANK YOU! this movie is a failure as a feminist movement in my book
12:32 AM - Mar 11, 2024
RA
A
It was no where near as subversive as I was expecting from Greta Gerwig, and just when you're wondering if "this is it," they finish with an absolute slap across the face to every woman watching. Barbie, reduced literally to her vagina. I hated it.
12:35 AM - Mar 11, 2024
✨Witchy Woman✨
A
In response to RA.
I'm just so glad it's not just me. everyone was raving and I was so disappointed. I'm always quick to assume the mistake is mine but I watched it a few times and my takeaway is that this misses the mark badly
12:43 AM - Mar 11, 2024
Annie Bee Good
A
It was eye opening for my husband even if I didn't find it earth shattering. My favorite bit was America Ferrera's rant on all the contradictions society tells women they must be and how it's impossible & we are set up to fail. Yes, I knew that, but she articulated it so well.
12:56 AM - Mar 11, 2024
✨Witchy Woman✨
A
In response to Annie Bee Good.
that was literally the only good part. It felt like someone wrote this magnificent speech and then they half assed creative a movie around it. Literally the only feminist thing about that movie is this speech.

and it still doesn't get the same play as the fucking ken song 🙄
12:59 AM - Mar 11, 2024
Annie Bee Good
A
Ken discovers the patriarchy and rushes back to take control & subjugate the Barbies, and the ultimate resolution was for Ken to learn he was "kenough" & didn't need to be superior to the Barbies to feel successful. That wasn't for you & me, it was aimed at white males, but did they absorb that?
09:32 AM - Mar 11, 2024
Annie Bee Good
A
It tried to provide lessons for everyone: women striving for perfection, men & women with unrealistic expectations of women, men who rely on being superior to women (extrapolate that to include racism) to feel valuable & successful, all couched in light entertainment to prevent defensive resistance.
09:37 AM - Mar 11, 2024
Annie Bee Good
A
Those of us fully aware didn't need those lessons and were underwhelmed after all the hype, but I think we underestimate the number of people who do need those lessons. By a lot.
09:39 AM - Mar 11, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}