Anton Brakhage
A
thread 1/5
An Oklahoma medical examiner has declared the death of 16 year old indigenous trans student Nex Benedict a suicide by overdose.

They died after being brutally beaten by other students. And they call it a suicide.

If you're wondering why I provided no link, it is because I cannot find a single
05:07 AM - Mar 14, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 2/5
news source that does not a) take the medical examiner's finding at face value, b) misgender Nex, c) refer to their beating as a "fight" (both sides-ism meant to excuse and justify the violence), or some combination of the above.

Not Huffpost. Not ABC. Not CTV. Not BBC.
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 3/5
The Daily Mail predictably sinks lower than most, putting "suicide" in all caps as thought to.. what? Sensationalize it? Emphasize it? Celebrate it? Oh, we know that it is all of the above.

This was murder. Even if it was a suicide after being bullied and beaten, it would still be a murder, though
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 4/5
of course most will see "suicide" as merely an excuse to victim-blame and let the poor cis murderers off the hook.

The State of Oklahoma has sent a message: trans people deserve to be murdered, and the state will shield the murderers.

And apparently, most media outlets are happy to be complicit.
Bren
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
No matter what the coroner calls it I hope the family seek a lawyer to go after those students who beat this child. It's not over for them if they want to pursue. Violence should not go unpunished If they have the strength to after losing a child. 💔
I hope a lawyer comes forward to help them.
05:39 AM - Mar 14, 2024
Bren
A
In response to Bren.
I truly believe it's the why of it not the how. If someone's beaten and seeks medical care afterward before the mental circumstances become unbearable isn't that cause enough to pursue? IDK but to me it's evidence. Tricky but doable, well worth trying. A case presidence set to deter future abuses.
05:53 AM - Mar 14, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}