Timara (she/her)
A
thread 1/7
I'm going to say something that probably isn't going to be popular. 🤷🏾‍♀️

When this place was created it was marketed as a marginalized safe space. I don't think that core value has ever shifted or swayed. And it shouldn't.
11:13 AM - Mar 14, 2024
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 2/7
However, it was very clear to me that from the beginning there wasn't much marginalization in this space. Instead, it looked like gentrification.

Maybe I was naive to think this would be FUBU or a marginalized haven.
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 3/7
Some people came here to recreate themselves. I came here to be myself.

So I put my best foot forward. I found my voice and leaned in.

Even when I could see the writing on the wall. That's one of the reasons why I don't do cliques.
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 4/7
Because a gentrified clique markets themselves as warm and inviting. But only to those they deem acceptable.

That's intentional. It's a very coy way to assert dominance. Because when people call you out, you can always fall back on that warm and inviting persona.
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 5/7
On top of that, it allows people to wrong others unchecked. Because they've amassed a following through skewed parasocial relationships that make them seem like the victim and not the other way around.
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 6/7
Recent events highlight this. And we don't just see it here. This repeatedly plays out in SM and IRL.

There's also another component that's always been in the back of my mind. That is, how covert/overt racism and anti-Blackness plays out when a Black person is in charge.
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 7/7
There's probably much more I could say. I've actually probably said a lot in various ways in past spouts.

But this is all I'll say...for now.
Sharon Graham
A
Thank you for writing this thread. I was feeling this way as well, but did not feel comfortable enough here to say it. I am incredible grateful for this space. It is a safe space space from overt harassment but it is not safe enough to feel like one can push back on ideas without repercussions.
In response to Timara (she/her).
05:55 AM - Mar 15, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}