Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
Stepped out of the restaurant, looked up at the sky, saw the crescent moon and about seven stars. Drove 2 miles away from Old Town, looked up from my driveway, and I can see hundreds.

It’s so easy to demonstrate light pollution, Hard to get anyone except us midnight dog walkers to care.
01:23 AM - Mar 16, 2024 (Edited)
Deb
A
In response to Bruno and Augie’s Dad.
I have lived in my home in a rural area for 35 years. The first 15 years were great for stargazing and watching meteor showers. We now have neighbors who leave outdoor lights on all night long.
09:08 AM - Mar 16, 2024
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
In response to Deb.
That’s the worst! I asked a neighbor the other day how long he’s been afraid of the dark. Got a spotlight on every tree and these creepy tiki torches everywhere.

My neighborhood has this “if Costco sells it I must buy it” problem. So everyone has airport runway lights in their yard.
09:42 AM - Mar 16, 2024
Deb
A
I detest the solar lights everywhere. I have a couple of garden ornaments that came with solar lights and I made sure they were disabled. Our nearest neighbor has a large light on the front of his shed that is on all the time.
09:49 AM - Mar 16, 2024
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
Plus they’re ugly and look cheap. But we’re addicted to convenience. Pull the plastic tab so the battery terminals connect, and stick it in the ground. Couldn’t be easier, and so what if you hit them with the lawnmower or the dog chews on them. Straight to the landfill and buy another one.
In response to Deb.
09:52 AM - Mar 16, 2024
Deb
A
It is hard to find our house after dark. We don’t leave any lights on unless we are expecting company. Although that does discourage drop ins.
09:56 AM - Mar 16, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}