az (lowercase intentional)
A
thread 1/10
i want to talk a little bit about chronic illness. for my purposes, menstruation and mental illnesses are chronic illnesses. i will not debate this with anyone.

if you're not chronically ill and you'd like some context, read about spoon theory here: https://en.wikipedia.org/w...
07:20 PM - Mar 16, 2024 (Edited)
A
thread 2/10
i don't mind the spoons metaphor, but i find spell slots more useful.

in 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons, a spell slot is an expendable, replenishable resource. a level 1 cleric, say, will have two 1st level spell slots. a level 20 cleric will have 22 spell slots ranging in level from 1st to 9th.
07:20 PM - Mar 16, 2024
A
thread 3/10
if you're out of 1st level spell slots, you can do something called "upcasting," which is casting a level 1 spell using a higher level spell slot. this doesn't work in reverse, though. once you've used your 9th level spell slot, that's it for the day.
A
thread 4/10
all other things being equal, all expended spell slots regenerate on a long rest (8 hours of sleep for a human adventurer). but other things are not always equal, are they?
A
thread 5/10
in Baldur's Gate 3, which uses modified 5th edition D&D rules, the cost of a long rest varies according to the game difficulty. on "balanced" difficulty, a long rest costs 40 camp supplies, whereas on "tactician" difficulty, a long rest costs 80 camp supplies.
A
thread 6/10
as we know, sometimes life is more difficult than at other times. i would say, comparitively speaking, that my life right now is on tactician difficulty. but where am i getting those 80 camp supplies from? if i try to long rest with fewer than 80 camp supplies, i don't regain all of my spell slots.
A
thread 7/10
let's pretend for a second that i'm a level 20 adventurer (realistically i'm like level 2 but i'd only have 3 spell slots as per the actual rules).

a phone call is at least a 5th level spell slot. taking a shower? 6th level. unloading the dishwasher is about 3rd level, 4th on the bad days.
A
thread 8/10
i expend spell slots by doing social things, too, because i am introverted. and being friends with my roommates is fantastic, but it does mean that i'm expending way more spell slots being at home than i have at any point in the past 5+ years.
A
thread 9/10
sometimes i'm not able to regenerate enough camp supplies to long rest effectively, and then i'm basically screwed--not just for the next day, but for the next few days, because i'm having to regenerate multiple resources in order to get back to a baseline.
A
thread 10/10
try being neurodivergent on top of that, and you've got yourself a whole mess.

anyway, just some thoughts for a saturday evening.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}