Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
This reminds me of a family story--literally, The Day Mom Destroyed Her Marriage.

Once upon a time, a fierce-tempered, red-haired Appalachian runaway from Harlan, KY married a Sicilian-American man. They had six kids. A pair of twins died at birth; their youngest son died after being mugged;
RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his) @RobPalmerIRL
Okay...I just wanna know who got that pissed off to do this in the first place? Also it seems like this would set off even Tony Soprano.
06:45 PM - Mar 20, 2024
06:51 PM - Mar 20, 2024
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
In response to Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie.
Yay for mom. Well done.
08:00 PM - Mar 20, 2024
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
In response to Carla Reid + Chilla.
Mom hated her red hair - which she usually dyed brown or blonde - but she definitely had a redhead's temper. Her credo was, "Do no harm, but take no shit."
09:46 PM - Mar 20, 2024
Aly C
A
that’s a great story. 🙂
07:49 PM - Mar 20, 2024
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
In response to Aly C.
Thanks. 😊 It's one of my favorites about my mom. She was little, but she had the heart & soul of a lioness.
09:49 PM - Mar 20, 2024
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
and the little girl that was her husband's biological child (but not hers) died at 4 months.

Many marriages crack under the strain of parental grief over the loss of a child. Throw in infidelity, and it's a lit match in search of a gas leak.

And the Old Man (not my father, but my brothers
06:55 PM - Mar 20, 2024
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
called him that, too) was about to blow things up.

Here's how it happened.

It was a hot day in Chicago, August 1969, and Mom had come home from her job at Quaker Oats dead tired.
But her boys had to eat, so she made chicken cacciatore.

The boys came to the table and Mom sat down with them
06:59 PM - Mar 20, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}