Rhys Parton
A
thread 1/6
Tomorrow #Tasmania goes to an election.

It isn’t very long since the last one.

It’s come about because members of the current government disagreed over a major sports stadium being built at massive cost, while Tasmania is bottom on many vitals rankings (such as housing and health).
08:00 AM - Mar 22, 2024
Rhys Parton
A
thread 2/6
Two members quit the party and became independent Members of Parliament and that threw the government into a minority position.

The members who quit want more funding for housing, to hire more healthcare workers, and more health infrastructure.
Rhys Parton
A
thread 3/6
The current #Premier #JeremyRockliff seems very much set on building the stadium, among other policies which would pass more easily with a majority government.

So he called the election early.

The state has gone through the campaign for the last few weeks .
Rhys Parton
A
thread 4/6
Polling suggests another minority government is likely.

They also say that #Tasmanian voters are fed up with the two major parties - Liberal and Labor - and a third party and independents might end up with a significant presence.
Rhys Parton
A
thread 5/6
Another interesting aspect of this election is that the House of Assembly is growing by 10 seats from 25 to 35.

I’m going into tomorrow expecting another #Liberal government, but a #Labor minority could happen.
Rhys Parton
A
thread 6/6
We shall see what the outcome is, maybe this time tomorrow, maybe a later date if minority government negotiations are needed.

As a political nerd, I really like this time, election night eve, rolling on the counting and coverage tomorrow!
#auspol #politas
Rhys Parton
A
Yeah, it’s certainly been shorter than the last federal election campaign we had, which was six weeks.

But it’s been about a month, I think.
In response to Verbatorium.
08:32 AM - Mar 22, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}