Stephen Spoonamore
A
thread 1/5
Today, buds on my pear trees have flashes of white.
I plant fruit trees every year. At my place, and at others.
I love the harvest of fruit. Love the exercise of pruning in the cold of winter. I am most charmed when the blooms start, and the first bees come to bash them open for pollen.
08:46 AM - Mar 22, 2024
Stephen Spoonamore
A
thread 2/5
Pears, Apples and Blueberrys have a common ancestor about 40M years back. All three share an interesting botanical promiscuity kink. They require cross pollination from one or more close cousins, but not a sibling plant to bear fruit. I have Bosch, Bartlett and Anjou. Bartlett photo attached.
11:47 AM - Mar 22, 2024
Stephen Spoonamore
A
thread 3/5
My property had a single but huge (poorly pruned) Bartlett pear when I purchased it. The owner bemoaned it always had beautiful blossoms, but only rarely had edible fruit. I planted a Bosch 12' away before I even unboxed. The next year, and every year since, it produces 40#+ of fruit.
11:53 AM - Mar 22, 2024
Stephen Spoonamore
A
thread 4/5
And I think, but I am not sure, I added a dumpster-dived Kieffer pear last year. It was being discarded at one of those big-box home-supply stores last fall. Labels had been pulled, and it's black root bucket had been pulled. Gave it some TLC and a spot in the orchard. Why not.
11:57 AM - Mar 22, 2024
Stephen Spoonamore
A
thread 5/5
I also have a neighbor about 1/2 mile away with two pears. I'm sure in some years a few bees visited both yards, and in those years the former owner got edible fruit. My neighbor doesn't know what type of pears they have. One I think is Anjou. 🤔The other is redish fruit I don't know. 🤷‍♂️
12:02 PM - Mar 22, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}