Ground Control
A
thread 1/6
#comiccreators

Darwyn Cooke got his start as an animator on Batman The Animated Series and Superman The Animated Series. But he also made his mark in comics and I want to throw a spotlight on my faves from him...
10:55 PM - Mar 22, 2024
Ground Control
A
thread 2/6
Springing from a 14 page pitch that got Cooke his first animating job for DC, Batman: Ego is a taut, unsettling dissection of the Dark Knight's psychology. A tragic death results in Bruce Wayne have a harrowing talk with his alter-ego.
Ground Control
A
thread 3/6
Part of an effort to reboot Catwoman, Selina's Big Score is a heist thriller with only a light sprinkling of superhero stuff laid over it. Her back financially against the wall, she recruits old contacts for a multi-million dollar robbery that follows the law of Murphy.
Ground Control
A
thread 4/6
Not a comic, I know, but I would be remiss if I didn't include this opening sequence to Batman Beyond. Funnily enough, Cooke created most of this with only his home MacIntosh and Adobe After Effects.
"Batman Beyond" - Opening [HD and Widescreen] - YouTube

Opening of animation tv-serial "Batman Beyond", alternate title - "Batman of the Future" (Europe) in HD (upscale) quality and widescreen.Video from DVD, mus...

Ground Control
A
thread 5/6
Unquestionably Cooke's magnum opus, The New Frontier manages to seamlessly weave in Silver Age DC Comics characters with real world history. It also doesn't flinch from uglier facets of the era, including one subplot of racist violence that haunts me for being set around East TN...
Ground Control
A
thread 6/6
The Outfit is what I think is the best of Cooke's four adaptations of Donald Westlake's Parker novels, using bold graphic design to make a unique and compelling story. Sadly, he was working on a fifth adaptation when he died from lung cancer.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}