Spoutible Banned Book Club
A
#SpoutibleBannedBookClub #ImmortalLifeTalkingPoint

Do you think the author treated the Lacks family respectfully in the book? Were there any parts that jumped out at you? Explain.

#SBBC #ImmortalLife
12:06 AM - Mar 23, 2024 (Edited)
Ruth Neese
A
In response to Spoutible Banned Book Club.
#immortallifetalkingpoint #SBBC
I think the author was respectful from my perspective. I cannot be sure if the family considered the book respectful.
01:35 PM - Mar 24, 2024
Pam McSt
A
Generally, yes, based on what Deborah said about knowing "there'll be good and bad" in telling the Lacks story, but maybe some things could have been left out and maybe not all family members would agree. Deborah also asked her to leave a word out of the book, and she did not include that word.
02:52 PM - Mar 23, 2024
Pam McSt
A
In response to Pam McSt.
It seems the family opinions do vary. I've never seen this movie & I wonder where the profits went. At least the book sales contribute to a foundation. Five family members were paid consultants, but a couple family members did not want this movie made & take issue with (but didn't read) the book.
04:10 PM - Mar 23, 2024
Angelique Yaich
A
#ImmortalLife Q3
I think that Rebecca Skloots, told us Henrietta's whole story, her biography, with truth, and the good and the bad,...helping us feel compassion for all her family went through....I didn't find any of it "not respectful".
10:21 AM - Mar 23, 2024
Tracy I
A
I’m not sure about that. She seemed fairly patient and tried to really capture their stories and thoughts about it in depth. I’m not sure if it’s always respectful to tell all of people’s business. She covered very personal stuff. I don’t know if respectful is the right word.
12:18 AM - Mar 23, 2024 (Edited)
Spoutible Banned Book Club
A
In response to Tracy I.
Some parts I wondered about.
12:21 AM - Mar 23, 2024
Jo she/her Thompson
A
In response to Tracy I.
Was the daughters name Deborah? I have read a few books since I finished this one and can't recall. But the daughter said straight up, if you gonna write about us you're writing the whole truth. The good, the bad and the ugly. #SpoutibleBannedBookClub
01:13 PM - Mar 23, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}