Literate Lawyer
A
thread 1/7
#bookrecommendation #bookreview GO AS A RIVER by Shelly Read. First, this is the most beautifully written novel I’ve read in a long time—as stunning as the Colorado landscape that provides the setting and serves as another character.
11:54 AM - Mar 23, 2024
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 2/7
I think it would be impossible to read this without highlighting or jotting down quotes. Although astonished to learn this was a debut novel, I was not at all surprised to learn the author teaches writing. This book is a master class in lyrical writing. Wow!
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 3/7
The story, which begins in the late 1940s, can’t escape comparison to “Where the Crawdads Sing,” one of my favorites and former BOTY, but goes in a different direction.
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 4/7
After her mother and aunt are killed in a car crash, an adolescent Victoria Nash is left to assume the female role in a house full of men—her peach-farmer father, somewhat evil brother and grumpy wheelchair-bound disabled veteran uncle.
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 5/7
Then, at seventeen, a chance encounter with a young Native American changes her life forever.

I don’t want to give any more of the plot away because I believe allowing everyone “go as a river” as the story unfolds is the best way to experience this book.
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 6/7
So no spoilers, but I will disclose some of the themes: displacement, choices, gender roles, societal expectations and intolerances, discrimination, racism, isolation, self-discovery/coming-of-age and environmental awareness and nourishment. In other words, this is a great book club selection.
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 7/7
Easily one of my top books for 2024. Highly recommended as a five-star must read.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}