Pam McSt
A
thread 1/6
What happened to Elsie was upsetting. To know that she was mistreated & experimented on without consent was terrible. Now I've read more about Crownsville today, and it upset me even more to realize that patients were used as forced labor to build the hospital & work the farm.
#SBBC #ImmortalLife
Spoutible Banned Book Club @BannedBookClub
#SpoutibleBannedBookClub #ImmortalLifeTalkingPoint

Talk about the ethics of experimenting on marginalized groups and prisoners based on what you learned in the book.

#SBBC #ImmortalLife
07:07 PM - Mar 23, 2024
08:04 PM - Mar 23, 2024
Pam McSt
A
thread 2/6
"Built on a 556-acre farm, the hospital was a self-sustaining institution in which many patients helped build the many structures that comprised the campus, tended the crops, milked the cows, and harvested willow wood to make furniture and baskets."
08:06 PM - Mar 23, 2024
Pam McSt
A
thread 3/6
"That “treatment” often took the form of forced labor: Its first dozen patients arrived to an open field and were ordered to start clearing the nearby woods for the hospital’s construction."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/...
08:08 PM - Mar 23, 2024
Pam McSt
A
thread 4/6
"...Crownsville's "patients" were viewed as unpaid laborers and were put to work, but not just for the asylum. Once the hospital was completed and crops were planted and harvested on the grounds, patients were sent out to labor on adjoining farms..."
08:10 PM - Mar 23, 2024
Pam McSt
A
thread 5/6
"In the hospital records ... what you often see was a lot more commentary about the labor and the amount of products that patients could produce than you would see about mental health care outcomes, which, I think, tells you a lot about a facility's priority."
08:15 PM - Mar 23, 2024
Pam McSt
A
thread 6/6
In The #ImmortalLife of Henrietta Lacks, it's mentioned that there is no evidence that Crownsville had consent from patients or their parents to conduct their research. Some of the experiments had terrible side effects and left permanent damage to the patients.
#SBBC
08:21 PM - Mar 23, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}