Professor Kyle
A
Truth. Real estate speculation is a huge part of what drives prices up. In my region (and probably many other places) people from away buy up properties as second homes/short term rentals with the idea that it's an investment. This makes home prices unaffordable for many who live & work here.
Anthony Lee @AnthonyLee
A house is a structure for shelter, not a reliable means to make money. People should buy a house to live in it, not to resell it in hopes of making a profit. If anything, this practice may be limiting options for shelter to those who truly need it. Housing prices cannot go up forever, folks.
09:09 PM - Mar 23, 2024
09:14 PM - Mar 23, 2024
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
The same has been going on here for a great many years. I think, if you do not work in a place, you do not get to have a house in that place. Most of the time these places sit empty they are simply investments and don't do anything to help our serious housing crisis.
10:06 PM - Mar 23, 2024
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Carla Reid + Chilla.
Exactly. So many places like this. I just read an article about how Steamboat can't attract *doctors* because even they can't afford to buy a house there...let alone lower wage workers.
10:08 PM - Mar 23, 2024
ALIS ITLATOL
A
Truth be told, locals drive around lookin at all the wealthy ppls 2nd, 3rd, 4th homes standing vacant --- & talk about which ones to take back.

I think that is already so bad that Wealth Redistribution & Reparations with restrictions on price gouging & low wages is the only humane way forward.
09:58 PM - Mar 23, 2024
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
In response to ALIS ITLATOL.
Maybe squat.
Maybe if enough people squatted that might change things.
I don't know. It is infuriating.
10:40 PM - Mar 23, 2024
AprilG Xn+2 = Xn+1 + Xn
A
Tax the fuck outta the top 1%. We're not the problem, they are.
09:50 PM - Mar 23, 2024
ALIS ITLATOL
A
Here we call it gentrification.
Is going on Big time here cuz of the ski resort, net jet ers -
What happened in Vale, Aspen, Boulder Colorado etc is now encroaching here. My fam & locals cannot afford to buy a home here now. Thankfully we have a home & every generation lives here.
09:49 PM - Mar 23, 2024 (Edited)
Professor Kyle
A
In response to ALIS ITLATOL.
Exactly this.
09:52 PM - Mar 23, 2024
Kate ChinaKatWrites
A
There’s a difference between being a predatory speculator and being a small land-holder. There is imho, a place for small holdings to retain wealth and generate income for the property owner. Owning is a lot of work. Renting has its place and can be done well for both sides.
09:24 PM - Mar 23, 2024
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Kate ChinaKatWrites.
That's true, but the people I'm talking about are mostly not big time speculators, yet collectively still drive up prices for the local residents. I know I couldn't afford a house here if not for lucking out after the housing bust in 2009 and finding our place foreclosed for $29K.
09:28 PM - Mar 23, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}