Lola Gayle
A
DAMN!

Guardian - Baltimore bridge collapses into river after being hit by cargo ship

A portion of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore has collapsed after a large boat collided with it early on Tuesday morning, sending multiple vehicles into the water.
05:08 AM - Mar 26, 2024
Fries Andersen
A
In response to Lola Gayle.
The port of Baltimore is now cut off, along with a major route for trucking. It looked like construction was going on, so there may have been little traffic. Unfortunately, a fall of 183 feet into freezing water does not sound survivable. Tragic.
06:06 AM - Mar 26, 2024
Bonnie Ivanish
A
In addition to the vehicles, it sounds like there were construction workers on the bridge pouring concrete who got knocked into the water, too. This will be a nightmare to sort out. HUGE QUESTION: WHY did the ship hit it? Certainly not due to fog!
05:55 AM - Mar 26, 2024
✨Witchy Woman✨
A
In response to Bonnie Ivanish.
Yes there were. Bc Baltimore is so busy they would bring out lights and do a lot of repair work over night when traffic is less and it's at the least inconvenience to the ppl.

this is tragic
05:59 AM - Mar 26, 2024
StephForJustice
A
In response to Bonnie Ivanish.
The video I watched showed how the boat lost power several times, recovered, then lost it again. It appears as though this caused a loss of control or at least visuals, allowing the ship to go off course and into the bridge.
07:20 AM - Mar 26, 2024
jocelynjtweet
A
That’s awful…. The Key Bridge carries a far amount of traffic on a daily basis.
05:23 AM - Mar 26, 2024
Lola Gayle
A
In response to jocelynjtweet.
I saw the video on Xitter. Looked really bad. Can you imagine how much traffic would have been on the bridge had it been morning rush hour?
05:26 AM - Mar 26, 2024
jocelynjtweet
A
In response to jocelynjtweet.
Luckily it happened late at night instead of rush hour, I hope they are able to find the folks in the water, but given the rain we’ve had lately the Patapsco is likely running pretty high. So incredibly awful.
05:29 AM - Mar 26, 2024
Spud Kitty
A
Wow, horrific!
05:12 AM - Mar 26, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}