Kathleen Rupnow
A
thread 1/6
My son has loved and played hockey all of his life since learning to skate at 2. He is 48 now and has Parkinson's disease. He is still playing for fun and exercise with a bunch of guys that he knows from working in the school system. I went to watch him play today. I was the only spectator.
08:32 PM - Mar 27, 2024
Kathleen Rupnow
A
thread 2/6
Last year, he thought he was going to have to quit playing because he played defence and he could no longer skate backwards. One of the other players gave up his position on offence and told my son that everyone wanted him to keep playing. That was pretty darn sweet of him IMHO. So, my son play
Kathleen Rupnow
A
thread 3/6
ed again this past winter. The other day I just started thinking that I may not see him playing hockey again if I didn't go today. I know that sounds weird but even though he wasn't the best hockey player on the ice at anytime he played, he was always the best hockey player that he could be. He gave
Kathleen Rupnow
A
thread 4/6
his all and he was always a good skater. The best in our family until his son came along. I'm really glad I went today but he was slower than last year and he moved more stiffly. I may have seen him on one of his harder days or I may have seen him on one of his better ones.
Kathleen Rupnow
A
thread 5/6
I asked him if he feels better after playing or worse. He said it depends. Today, he said he felt ok. We walked out of the arena together towards our cars and he walked so fast that I had trouble keeping up (because I'm old). I asked him to slow down a little and he did. he
Kathleen Rupnow
A
thread 6/6
I said, "Well, you're stil doing it." And he replied, "I'm lucky to still be walking." Yes, he is. And, I'm lucky that I went today and didn't miss it.
jocelynjtweet
A
In response to Kathleen Rupnow.
These are the important moments
06:43 PM - Mar 31, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}