Merci Merci Me
A
thread 1/9
A story as to why we need to leave wildlife to the professionals.
This month at the rescue we got a 2 year old squirrel in that someone decided to keep as a pet since a baby. The guy got evicted & instead of taking the squirrel with him he just set it on the porch of the building & left it there.
12:19 PM - Mar 28, 2024
Merci Merci Me
A
thread 2/9
Unable to fend for itself. It was TERRIFIED. A neighbor coaxed the squirrel into a leather carrier to attempt to bring it into the rescue. The animal chewed through the leather & escaped into her car. It took her 30 minutes to recapture. She was finally able to get it to us.
Merci Merci Me
A
thread 3/9
The adult squirrel was in deep stress & wouldn't let anyone touch him for an evaluation so they put him in an outdoor enclosure with a few days worth of food. He was checked on every day by staff for 3 days. On the 4th day they decided he was calm enough to evaluate.
Merci Merci Me
A
thread 4/9
They brought him into the hospital & found upon examination he was bald from below his chin down his whole side. Wild animals often self mutilate under great stressors in captivity. He did not understand why his "mommy" left him.
Merci Merci Me
A
thread 5/9
After a few more weeks the animal continued to remove the hair on his forehead, then more than 70% of his body & became dangerous to humans & itself. The decision to euthanize was the only answer so it was the cause of action.
Merci Merci Me
A
thread 6/9
After more than a month of trying to calm the beast & rewild it there was not other option.
My reason for telling you this is I must URGE you to never keep a baby wild animal. Yes they are super cute & the idea of having one is fun until your real life calls & you can't continue the care.
Merci Merci Me
A
thread 7/9
That animal can no longer function in the wild. It is in danger of other animals & most of all in danger from humans. When that guy left that squirrel after being its sole support for 2 years that squirrel became frightened & was unable to fend for itself. It feared everything & everyone.
Merci Merci Me
A
thread 8/9
Had the neighbor done nothing, the squirrel would have ended up as food for another animal or worse, bothered a human with a shovel & a hatred of squirrels. Either way that guy irresponsibly & carelessly was the undoing of that tiny life. It makes me deeply sad so please, do not keep baby wildlife.
Merci Merci Me
A
thread 9/9
Call the professionals & save a life.

Thanks for listening.🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}