Carla Reid + Chilla
A
thread 1/7
#Reading #Books

I just finished Dension Avenue, by Christine Wong, the beautiful artwork is done by Daniel Innes, one of the 5 Canada Reads picks for 2024.
07:35 PM - Mar 28, 2024
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
thread 2/7
It is a short story, about aging and gentrification and how the world around one changes but does not leave much space for the elderly or people who do not speak English as their main language.
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
thread 3/7
The book is half a fictional story and half beautiful grey-scale pen and ink drawings of the neighbourhoods that Wong Cho Sum travels through.
The book also uses the endangered Toisan dialect, which gives a deeper connection to Wong Cho Sum.
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
thread 4/7
This story took me over 3 hours to read and I felt at home in this book. I know what the author is trying to convey. I watch as our wonderful Chinatown (the oldest in North America), where I live, succumbs to gentrification.
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
thread 5/7
Gone is that feeling of a comfortable place, with generations of lives lived in amongst its walls and streets. Gone is the laughter, people bustling, stopping to chat with neighbours. Instead of the fruit and vegetables displayed on the sidewalks, there are overpriced fancy shops.
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
thread 6/7
I also watch, now, how my Man and sometimes myself are treated when we are not fast enough for some people, and shop clerks, when we do not hear something said to us.

I have one more book to read of the 5 and then I will be able to determine which one I would have picked as number one.
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
thread 7/7
Denison Avenue connected with me in many ways. I would recommend giving this book a read.

Here is some more information you like.
Deb
A
In response to Carla Reid + Chilla.
I’ve been trying to request this book for weeks but there are only 2 copies available through the statewide system in Michigan. This sounds like something I will love. Hope I can request a copy eventually.
08:22 PM - Mar 28, 2024
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
In response to Deb.
Oh gosh. I hope you can as well.
I am tempted to buy a copy, though I really can't afford to be buying books. The reason I would want a copy is I believe the artwork will be easier to view in a physical book. The digital was fine and there are explanations of what the art shows.
08:24 PM - Mar 28, 2024
Bev Turner
A
In response to Carla Reid + Chilla.
Bookmarked.
07:51 PM - Mar 28, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}